How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Oshawa, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- P.I.E.C.E.S. Montessori Program: Our P.I.E.C.E.S. Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the residents past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Pet Therapy: The Therapeutic Paws of Canada Pet Therapy Program brings trained therapy dogs into our home twice a month.
- Drum Therapy: In our monthly Drum Therapy Program residents use drums, tambourines and other percussion instruments to connect through rhythm.
- Spa Program: In our weekly Spa Program, residents indulge in facials, hand massages, manicures, aroma therapy, soft music and low lights to relax and pamper themselves.
- Men’s & Women’s Breakfast: Every other month, the men meet for a “men only” breakfast. In alternate months the ladies get together for a “women only” breakfast.
- Music and Memory Program: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an i-pod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Happy Hour Fridays: We host Happy Hour Fridays, a monthly non-alcohol pub night where residents get together to socialize and enjoy a non-alcoholic beverage.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Summer Gardening Program: In our Summer Gardening Program, residents get to exercise their green thumbs growing vegetables with an emphasis on tomatoes.
- Intergenerational Program: In our monthly Intergenerational Program, children from the local day care come to our home to play games, sign songs, read books and more with residents.
- Theme Days: Once a quarter we have a themed day that focuses on the food, clothing, styles and music related to the theme.
- Live Entertainment: Three times a week we have live entertainment featuring a variety of performers from the community.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Nurse Practitioner